The first AGM of the Maritime Toy Dog Club was held [in Fredericton] Spring 1955 with recognition by Canadian Kennel Club following on February 9, 1956.
Stated in the original documents for the club: "The purpose of this Club is to promote the knowledge and care of all toy breeds, improvement in type and their publicity. It is also to encourage more toy breeders to exhibit their dogs at all breed shows."
The first slate of officers were President, Mrs. P.A. Margeson, 1st VP, Robert B. Laskey, 2nd VP, Herbert Webber, 3rd VP, Mrs. D.R. Thomas, 4th VP, Mrs. A.Z. Whitman, 5th VP, G.A. Atkinson; Directors: Wm. W. Laskey, Dr. H.V. Corbet, Mrs. R.H. Colwell, Mrs. R.A. Rowan, Mrs. M.G. Langille, and Mrs. Kenneth Albright. Club Secretary was Mrs. Roy H. Colwell, Treasurer, Mrs. Fred Haviland. There were two show committees to cover New Brunswick and Nova Scotia chapters of the Club.
The first Specialty, hosted by the New Brunswick Kennel Club, was held on August 16, 1956 with USA All-Breed Judge, Mrs. Charles Forrest Dowe (Peggy) of Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts.
Best in Show - Pekingse - Ch. Chik T'Sun of Caversham, Nigel Aubrey Jones & William Taylor
Best Canadian Bred - Chihuahua (SC) - Lady Laurel Star, Stanley Pond
Best Canadian Bred Puppy - Chihuahua (SC) - Tiny Pepe Marmaduke, Mrs. Ruth McAllister